- SBS Food
Serves: 4 - 5 | Cooking Time: 2 hours | Easy
large pinch of saffron threads
1.5kg medium fresh squid
80ml (⅓ cup) olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 sprigs thyme
3 stalks of celery, trimmed and finely sliced
4 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
6 anchovies, chopped
125ml dry white wine
500ml chicken or fish stock
1½ tablespoons white wine vinegar
310g frozen peas
1. In a small bowl sprinkle saffron over 2 tablespoons of hot water and stand for 30 minutes to infuse.
2. Clean the squid by rinsing and removing skin, reserve the tentacles and cut tubes into 1.5 cm thick rings.
3. Over a medium heat, add olive oil to a frypan and sauté onion, thyme, celery, garlic and anchovies, keep stirring until the onion is soft.
4. Add wine to frypan, bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes or until wine has reduced.
5. Add the saffron liquid, stock and vinegar and bring to a simmer then add the squid.
6. Once squid has been added bring the liquid back to a simmer, then lower the heat and cook the squid, covered for 1 hour, or until very tender.
7. Add the peas, cover and cook for another 10 minutes or until peas are tender.
8. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.