Serves: 3 | Cooking Time: 2 hours | Easy
1.6kg whole rabbit, jointed
2 tablespoons plain flour, seasoned
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 onions, finely chopped
6 slices flat pancetta, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup white wine
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 jars passata
2 rosemary sprigs, leaves chopped
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Cooked soft polenta, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Dust rabbit in flour, shake off excess and put aside.
3. In a frypan heat 2 tablespoons of oil over a medium temperature. Cook rabbit in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden.
4. Once rabbit has been lightly fried place in a baking dish.
5. In a pot heat 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté fennel, onion, pancetta and garlic, until soft and golden.
6. To the sauté add wine and half the vinegar, and simmer for 3-4 minutes until reduced by half.
7. Once wine has reduced add pomodorini and rosemary, season and bring to the boil.
8. Pour sauce over rabbit, cover and cook for 1 1/4 hours or until rabbit is tender.
9. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar and scatter with parsley.
10. Serve with polenta.