Risotto is an Italian rice dish cooked in broth to a creamy consistency. Risotto can be made using many kinds of broth - vegetable, meat, poultry, seafood and legumes, and different types of wine may be used. There is even an Italian strawberry risotto.
For Beef & Veal Stock:
300g Beef Bone
300g Veal Bone
100g Chicken Wings
1 Carrot, diced
1 Stick Celery
1 Onion, finely chopped
400g Riso Margherita Vialone Nano
200g Veal Lion
200g Pork Belly
100g Cooking Butter
150g Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan), grated
1 Sprig of Fresh Rosemary
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
900ml Beef & Veal Stock
Half teaspoon of Cinnamon Powder
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1 Cinnamon Stick to garnish
1. Place beef bones, veal bones and chicken wings into a stock pot. Add the carrot, celery and onion. Add 6 litres cold water and place over medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, dice the beef and veal. Add minced garlic, salt and pepper. Leave to marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
3. When meat has finished marinating, melt cooking butter in a pan with some rosemary. Add meat and cook on low heat for 45 minutes.
4. In a separate casserole pot, boil 900ml of beef & veal stock (prepared earlier). Add rice and turn temperature down. Cook slowly for approx. 16 minutes or until stock is absorbed.
5. Add cooked meat, Parmigiano Reggiano and cinnamon to risotto and stir through.
6. Allow risotto to rest for a couple of minutes.
Click here for printable version