Makes: 24 (approx) | Prep time: 30 minutes | Cooking time: 2 Hours
2 Tablespoons Labbate DOP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Large brown onion, finely chopped
2 Large garlic cloves, crushed
500g Lean Beef Mince
700g passata sauce
2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 tablespoons Dried Oregano
1 cup red wine (dry)
salt & pepper to taste
1L (4 cups) Vegetable stock
2 cups Riso Margherita Aborio (Rice)
1 up frozen peas
Lemon zest to taste
1 Cup Parmigiano Reggiano (parmisan cheese), grated
½ Cup milk
4 Cups dried breadcrumbs
200g Mozzarella, cut into 1cm pieces
Vegetable oil to deep fry
1. Line the bottom of a medium saucepan with Labbate Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
2. Once heated add the chopped onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent.
3. Brown the beef mince with the onion and garlic. When brown add Pastificio Venturino Passata, tomato paste and the red wine and mix together.
4. Add oregano, salt and pepper to taste and stir through.
5. Bring to the boil, then turn to a low heat and simmer for 60 minutes.
6. Take off heat and leave to cool.
1. Add the stock and rice into a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
2. When stock is nearly absorbed add the peas, Parmigiano Reggiano and lemon zest to the mixture and stir through.
3. Pour in sauce mixture (prepared earlier) and stir through. Set aside to cool for 2-3 hours.
To make Arancini Balls:
1. Place the breadcrumbs on a large plate.
2. Crack 6 eggs into a bowl and add ½ Cup of milk and use a fork to whisk.
3. Use wet hands to shape 2 tablespoons of the risotto mixture into a ball. Press your thumbs into the centre and make an indent. Place a piece of mozzarella in the indent and then mould the risotto mixture around the mozzarella to enclose.
4. Double crumb the arancini balls (dip rolled balls into egg mixture and then roll in bread crumbs repeating twice).
5. Repeat until all the mixture has been used.
6. Place on a large plate. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
7. Add enough vegetable oil to deep fry the arancini balls, when oil is hot place arancini balls into the oil turning them occasionally.
8. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden.
9. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat.
Tip: Best served fresh.Click here for printable version