- SBS Food
Perfect for on top of pasta, but it can be spread over bruschetta, pizza and sandwiches, drizzled over salads and used on pretty much everything you can think of. For a variation, add a tablespoon of ricotta. Or change the herbs: try sage, parsley or mint, or a mix of everything.
Makes: 1/2 Cup | Prep Time: 10 min | Cooking Time: 10 min | Easy
80 g shelled pistachios
20 g blanched almonds
6-8 basil leaves
20 g Parmigiano Reggiano
½ garlic clove
a pinch of salt
60 ml (¼ cup) extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the pistachios and almonds on an oven tray and roast for 8-10 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
2. Rub the pistachios in a tea towel to remove the skins.
3. Place the nuts, basil, Parmigiano, garlic and salt in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
4. With the motor running, add the oil, a little at a time, until a rough pesto consistency.
5. Alternatively, use a mortar and pestle. Pound the garlic and salt to a paste, then add the basil.
6. Once a brilliant green paste forms, gradually add the nuts.
7. Halfway, alternate adding the nuts with the Parmigiano.
8. Add the oil, a little at a time, once the paste starts getting too thick.
9. It will take some patience, but the final result is very rewarding.