A delicious 'zingy' gluten free sweet.
Serves: 10-12 | Super Easy
200g unsalted butter at room temperature (plus extra for greasing)
200g demerara sugar
3 large free-range eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
200g ground almonds
100g coarse polenta
Zest of 2 oranges
1 teaspoon orange blossom water
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
Creme fraiche or plain yoghurt to serve
For the syrup:
250ml orange juice (from about 3-4 oranges)
30ml orange blossom water
5 cardamom pods, crushed
125g golden caster sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees.
2. Grease a 20cm spring-form tin, line the bottom and side with baking paper and grease again.
3. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy - don't worry if it looks gritty, as the sugar will dissolve when it is cooked.
4. Beat in the eggs, one by one, then stir in the vanilla essence.
5. In a small bowl, combine the ground almonds, polenta, orange zest, orange blossom water and baking powder, then stir into the cake mix.
6. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 40-50 minutes, until the surface is light brown and the cake is coming away slightly from the sides of the tin.
7. Remove the tin from the oven, leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate. This cake will be quite moist and a little fragile, so handle carefully as you remove it.
8. Prick the cake all over with a skewer, then brush generously with the syrup.
9. Serve in slices with a dollop of creme fraiche or yogurt and an extra drizzle of syrup.