- SBS Food
Serves: 6 | Cooking Time: 30min | Medium
85g caster sugar
1/3 cup cornflour
25g Dutch-process cocoa, plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon of plain flour
40g unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup thickened cream
1/4 cup Perrotta Chestnut Cream with Vanilla
200g dark chocolate, chopped
50g unsalted butter
1. Using an electric mixer, whisk eggs and sugar until mixture holds a trail.
2. Sift cornflour, cocoa, cream of tartar, bicarbonate of soda and flour over egg mixture and, using a spatula, gently fold in, then add melted butter and fold in until combined.
3. Spoon mixture into two 18 x 26cm baking paper-lined swiss roll pans.
4. Bake at 180C for 12 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly touched.
5. Stand cakes for 3 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool.
6. Using an electric mixer, whisk cream until soft peaks form, then stir in chestnut purée until combined.
7. Using a 7cm-round pastry cutter, cut 12 rounds from sponge, then spread 6 rounds with chestnut cream, top with remaining rounds and refrigerate for 5 minutes or until firm.
8. For chocolate sauce, melt chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, add butter and stir until smooth.
9. Serve cakes, dusted with cocoa and drizzled with chocolate sauce.