Serves: 2 | Cooking Time: 1 hour | Easy
6 tomatoes (vine or roma), sliced about 1/2 inch thick
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup fresh mozzarella
12-15 basil leaves
4 slices seedy bread
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Place tomatoes on a nonstick baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 45-50 minutes.
3. While tomatoes are roasting, add vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until liquid reduces by about half and is slightly syrupy. Remove from heat, pour vinegar in a bowl or glass to pour, and let sit.
4. Once tomatoes are finished, heat a large griddle or skillet over medium heat. Brush the outsides of each slice of bread with olive oil, then place mozzarella on one side, followed by tomatoes, basil, more tomatoes and more mozzarella.
5. Cook until cheese is melted and each side is golden, about 5 minutes per side.
6. Serve immediately drizzle with balsamic.