- SBS Food
Serves: 4 | Cooking Time: 20 min | Preparation: 10 min | Easy
250g Pastificio Venturino Spaghetti
250g chicken livers, rinsed
2 tablespoons Villa Sibianna Extra Virgin Olive Oil
9 sage leaves, 3 finely chopped and 6 left whole
2 purple shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
60ml dry Marsala
salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup grated Parmesan
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti until shy of al dente.
2. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of cooking water, then set aside and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, trim the livers, removing any discoloured bits and membranes. Pat dry on paper towel, then cut into 2–3 pieces.
4. Melt half the butter with the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the chopped sage and the shallots and cook for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and cook until soft.
5. Add the remaining butter and when foaming, add the livers and whole sage leaves and cook for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add the Marsala to deglaze the pan, then shake the pan again.
7. Remove from pan and season with salt and pepper.
8. Return the pan to medium-low heat, add half the reserved pasta cooking water and half the Parmesan and combine to make a creamy sauce.
9. Return the livers, their sauce and the pasta to the pan and toss well.
10. Divide among four bowls and serve with the remaining Parmesan.
Suggested wine: Tola Syrah Nero d'Avola IGT